Ecological farming resources for sustainability
Sustainability infers cooperation. Sustainable farming and food systems also infer cooperation. Here are just three organizations that are working to model sustainable principles at the same time they are delivering sustainable science and education to improve farming and food sciences.
The Ecological Farming Association, formerly the Committee for Sustainable Agriculture, is a non-profit educational organization that promotes ecologically sound agriculture. They provide a link list to organic and sustainable business resources. Special events bring people together from all over the world to share ideas and experiences in producing healthful food from a healthy earth. The Eco-Farm Association supports a new vision for our food system where strengthening soils, protecting air and water quality, encouraging diverse ecosystems, and honoring rural life are all part of producing healthful food.
University of California Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program
This hub of research and education provides extensive online information about sustainable farming in the following areas:
- Crop/Livestock Production
- Biologically Integrated Farming Systems (BIFS)
- Organic Farming
- Community Food Systems
Dietrick Institute for Applied Insect Ecology
This nonprofit institute promotes understanding of agriculture as an ecological system. They research and educate about agricultural practices in harmony with nature by focusing on pest problems in the context of a food web and the role of biodiversity.
Values that Guide Their Decisions:
PO Box 2506, Ventura, CA 93002
- Sustainability is our best gift to future generations.
- Agriculture is the foundation of successful economic systems.
- Interconnectedness, reciprocity and mutual aid guide all relationships.
- Diversity strengthens physical, chemical, biological, and human systems.
- Local community is the most important level for taking decisions and actions.
- Teaching knowledge, understanding, skills AND wisdom is a great service.
- Women and men, working together as equals, assures the greatest success.
- Group consultation is the most effective means of problem-solving.
- The principle of unity in diversity enlightens our consultation.